Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apartment Revamp

We're lucky enough to get paid to live in a pretty spacious (for the bay area) two bedroom. Sometimes we feel a bit like sardines, but for the most part it works. Since we're probably going to be here for a while (I decide this after we've already lived here for three years), I thought it would be a good place to test out some of the things I learned in design school. Not to mention give me the opportunity to show others how easily you can customize- YES, even a rental! Who says you have to live in a cookie cutter, off white box, just because you don't own it?  Quite some time ago I began my total apartment revamp with the boys' room, and these are my results!

Since I wasn't with it enough to take "before" pictures (I was 7 months pregnant at the time, cut me some slack!), you will have to use your imagination. I'm sure it won't be hard (we've all lived the apartment life at one time or another), imagine a big off white box with a closet and a window.
It took one simple question to ask our landlord (oh wait, that's us!) "can I paint?"
You would be surprised at how many say "yes."


I began the process of creating this accent wall by painting the entire wall with a satin finish crisp white. After allowing a full 24 hours of dry time, I created a modular pattern with blue painters tape.

Using an angled painters brush (non-foam) I painted the first of five colors in a randomized pattern. Because the wall I chose is textured (as most apartment walls are), it was important to use brush strokes that began ON TOP of the painters tape and brushed away from the tape towards the middle of each square/rectangle. This kept the paint from puddling under the tape and allowed for my lines to remain crisp.











This finished project:




More rooms to come! I'm very behind on my "after photos."Eh-hem, NOLAN!

~Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment